Attorneys who practice in this area advise clients on a variety of issues that relate to land—regardless of whether those issues involve a small dwelling or a large shopping center. Some examples of the services provided by the attorneys in this area are—
- Reviewing and preparing agreements to buy and sell property.
- Reviewing and preparing leases for property, whether residential, commercial, or industrial.
- Reviewing and preparing condominium agreements, whether for residential or commercial condominiums.
- Reviewing and preparing construction agreements.
- Evaluating the title to the property.
- Facilitating the financing (usually through a mortgage) for the purchase.
- Conducting the closing on the purchase of property.
- Pursuing rezoning of property or other actions necessary to facilitate commercial development.
- Assisting clients in receiving just compensation for their property when the property is taken by eminent domain.
- Preparing documents to settle disputes between adjoining land owners.
- Handling the foreclosure of mortgages when a borrower defaults on his or her payments to the lender.
In handling real estate transactions, Lanier Ford assists clients, particularly lending institutions, in complying with the following federal laws:
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act.
- Truth-in-Lending Act.
- Credit Opportunity Act.
- Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Fair Housing Act.
- Federal Trade Commission Act.
- Home Mortgage Disclosure Act.
- Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act.
- Agricultural Foreign Investment Disclosure Act.
- Bankruptcy Code.
- Condominium and Cooperative Abuse Relief Act.