Civil Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Civil Rights Litigation
Municipal and County Government Law
Insurance Coverage Disputes
Mr. Townsley regularly represents municipalities, businesses, and individuals in the defense of personal injury, premises liability, and property damage cases. He also defends numerous local medical professionals in professional liability cases.
Mr. Townsley dedicates a significant amount of his practice to employment litigation and employment contract disputes. Mr. Townsley routinely represents employers in the prosecution and defense of noncompete and nonsolicitation cases, both at the trial and appellate court level. He also regularly advises employees and employers presuit on their obligations under noncompete and nonsolicitation agreements.
As a litigator, Mr. Townsley has experience handling civil cases from pleading, through discovery, trial, and appeal. Mr. Townsley has experience with jury and bench trials in several counties in north Alabama. These trials have involved claims of personal injury, property damage, premises liability, breach of contract, and fraud.
In his free time, Mr. Townsley enjoys spending time with his family and giving back to the community and bar. Mr. Townsley is a member of the board of directors for United Cerebral Palsy of Huntsville and the Tennessee Valley. He currently serves as an officer in the Young Lawyers Section of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association. Mr. Townsley also regularly provides pro bono legal services through the Madison County Volunteer Lawyers Program.
Baker v. City of Madison, No. 5:21-CV-382 (N.D. Ala. Feb. 8, 2022).
Kennamer v. City of Guntersville, 2020 WL 2781243 (Ala. May 29, 2020).
Zimmerman v. DealNews, No. 1180344 (Ala. Sept. 20, 2019).
Tompkins v. Cuts By Us, Inc., 2019 WL 3387775 (N.D. Ala. July 26, 2019).
Mr. Townsley has presented the following continuing legal education (CLE) seminar:
- Five Forgotten Defenses: Identifying and Proving Often Overlooked Defenses, webinar for Alabama Defense Lawyers Association, February 20, 2020.
- Alabama Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
Secretary, Young Lawyers Section, 2020-2021
Treasurer, Young Lawyers Section, 2019-2020
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
- J.D., magna cum laude, 2014, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
Order of the Coif
- M.A., 2011, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- B.A., summa cum laude, 2008, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- All Alabama Courts
- United Cerebral Palsy of Huntsville and Tennessee Valley
Member, Board of Directors, 2019-
- Madison County Volunteer Lawyers Program
Honored as a top volunteer based on pro bono hours worked in 2019