Allison B. Chandler
Municipal & County Government Law
Civil Rights Defense
Alternative Dispute Resolution
General Civil Litigation
Ms. Chandler practices in the areas of governmental liability, civil rights defense, labor and employment law, insurance defense, construction law, corporate and governmental contracting, and general civil litigation. She has substantial trial experience in state and federal courts involving complex civil rights claims, employment matters, and personal injury defense.
As needed, she appeals cases to the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals, and the Alabama Supreme Court. As part of an appeal, she crafts appellate briefs, notices of appeal, and petitions for writ of certiorari and for rehearing.
Ms. Chandler has represented municipalities, governmental officials, and private-sector entities in tort litigation brought under Alabama and federal law, including claims brought under Section 1983, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). She has assisted with cases involving violation of zoning requirements, nuisance issues, police pursuits, claims for wrongful arrest and incarceration, alleged use of excessive force, searches and seizures, jail conditions, and complex construction litigation.
Ms. Chandler’s practice is not limited to litigation, but also includes alternative dispute resolution. As part of her representing clients in arbitration and mediation, she prepares mediation statements, arbitration briefs, and settlement agreements. She also assists employers in responding to charges of discrimination and harassment lodged with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Junkins v. De Jong, 2022 WL757951 (N.D. Ala. March 11 2022).
New South Media Group, LLC, v. City of Huntsville, 2021 WL 5822133 (N.D. Ala. Oct. 1, 2021).
- “Signs, Signs, Everywhere a Sign: U.S. Supreme Court to Re-Examine the Limits of Governmental Authority to Regulate Billboards and Other Advertisements,” Alabama Defense Lawyers Association Journal, Fall 2021, with David J. Canupp.
- Emerging Trends in Property and Casualty Claims, Seminar by the Alabama Property and Casualty Adjusters Association and the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association, July 10, 2019.
- Action vs. Reaction: Gaining and Maintaining Control of Litigation from Complaint Through Appeal, Alabama Municipal Insurance Corporation Panel Counsel Roundtable, March 23, 2016.
- Defense Research Institute, 2016-present
Civil Rights and Governmental Liability Annual Seminar Sponsorship Coordinator, 2017
Marketing Co-Chair, 2018-2019
Member of Civil Rights and Governmental Liability Steering Committee, 2019-present
- Alabama Bar Association
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
- J.D., magna cum laude, 2010, University of Mississippi School of Law, Oxford, MS
Associate Editor, Mississippi Law Journal
Executive Board Member, Moot Court Board
Chair, Law School Student Body Honor Council
- B.A., summa cum laude, 2007, Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS
Phi Kappa Phi
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- All Alabama Courts
- FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association, 2019-present
- Huntsville Rotaract Club, 2012-2018
- Greater Huntsville Alumnae Panhellenic Association, 2012-present
Vice President I, 2017-18
Vice President II, 2016-17
Secretary, 2012-13, 2015-16
- Mississippi State University Alumni Association, Huntsville-Decatur Chapter, 2010-present
Young Alumni Chair, 2013-2014