Attorneys practicing in this area:

Guardians & Conservators

Under Alabama law, a guardian is appointed to take care of a minor or an incapacitated person, typically called a ward. The guardian takes care of the personal needs of a ward—such things as shelter, clothing, food, health care, and education.

Under Alabama law, a conservator is appointed to take care of the ward’s property. In this respect, the conservator has a role similar to a business manager or trustee.

Sometimes, the same person may serve as both a ward’s guardian and conservator.

Lanier Ford’s attorneys advise guardians and conservators, regardless of whether they are individuals or financial institutions, about the following issues, among many others:

  • Legal responsibilities to the ward, including fiduciary duties.
  • Inventory, reporting, and accounting responsibilities to the probate court.
  • Management of funds and assets.

Lanier Ford’s attorneys counsel and represent parents, grandparents, spouses, children, and other relatives or interested parties when guardianship and conservatorship proceedings are necessary, as may happen with old age, illness, or debilitating injuries.

© 2015


  • 256-535-1100  
  • 256-533-9322  
  • Send Email