Federal Government Contracting
As the home of major federal government agencies involved in the defense, aerospace, and other high-technology areas, north Alabama has many businesses that provide products and services under contract to the federal government, the largest purchaser of goods and services in the world. Lanier Ford’s Aerospace, Defense, and Government Services Practice Group provides advice and representation to businesses that contract with the federal government in a variety of areas:
- Obtaining contracts—through direct negotiations and through responding to requests for quotations (RFQs) or requests for proposals (RFPs).
- Bid protests or other actions before the Government Accountability Office (GAO).
- Contract performance and compliance.
- Claims and dispute resolution—including equitable adjustments and novation agreements.
- Contract suspensions and terminations.
- Issues related to Government contracts during mergers and acquisitions.
- Export controls (including ITAR and EAR compliance) and various programs involving foreign military sales (FMS) and foreign military financing (FMF).
- Security clearances.
- Responses to audits and investigations, including interactions with the Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA).
- Joint ventures, teaming agreements, strategic alliances, and cooperative research and development agreements (CRADAs).
- Labor issues.
- Intellectual property and data rights.
- Small business issues, including affirmative action and socio-economic requirements and participation in the Small Business Administration (SBA) 8(a) Program:
- 8(a) applications.
- 8(a) compliance.
- 8(a) joint ventures.
- 8(a) protégé programs.
- HUBZones (historically underutilized business zones).
- Women-owned small businesses (WOSB).
- Veteran-owned small businesses (VOSB).
- Service-disabled small businesses (SDVD).
- Small, disadvantaged businesses (SDB).
- General Services Administration (GSA) contracts.
Our attorneys can provide advice on the following procurement-related laws and regulations, among others:
- United States Procurement Act.
- Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR).
- Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation (DFAR).
- Competition in Contracting Act (CICA).
- Contract Disputes Act (CDA).
- Procurement Integrity Act (PIA).
- False Statements Act (18 U.S.C. § 1001).
- Truth in Negotiations Act (TINA).
- False Claims Act (FCA), including qui tam (or whistleblower) actions under 31 U.S.C. § 3730(b)(1).
- Anti-Kickback Act.
- Davis-Bacon Act.
- Walsh-Healey Act.
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- Service Contract Act.
- Small Business Act.
- Arms Export Control Act (AECA).
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
See related service areas:
© 2015, 2018