Laura W. Harper
Businesses & Corporations
Contracts, Agreements & Commercial Transactions
Wills & Estate Planning
Probate & Trusts
Mergers & Acquisitions
Ms. Harper’s practice is focused in two major areas: corporate law and estate planning.
Ms. Harper frequently negotiates, reviews, and drafts contracts and other commercial agreements for small and medium businesses, including agreements about joint ventures and providing services. She also prepares employment and independent-contractor agreements, non-disclosure agreements, non-competition agreements, licences, and procurement contracts.
Her experience as corporate counsel gives her unique insight in advising businesses regarding corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, purchase and sale of assets, investor relations, meetings and minutes for meetings of boards of directors, shareholder agreements, equity incentive plans, and stock options.
She has a broad background in day-to-day practical management of company from her in-house experience at a scientific business and a hospitality company. Among other things, she has coordinated work involving scientists, procurement, marketing, business development, and other specialist employees. She prides herself on the ability to identify business risks, to develop risk-management strategies, and to collaborate with clients to develop practical legal strategies to mitigate those risks.
In her estate planning practice, Ms. Harper regularly advises clients about and prepares wills, powers of attorney, living wills, and other documents for both individuals and couples. She regularly advises and represents personal representatives (executors and administrators) and beneficiaries in probate court.
- “New Law Helps Washington State Businesses,” One Accord (July 2019).
- “Involuntary Commitment of People with Mental Retardation: Ensuring All of Georgia’s Citizens Receive Adequate Procedural Due Process,” Mercer Law Review (2007).
- “Has New Federalism Gone Up in Smoke?,” Mercer Law Review (2006).
- Washington State’s New Law Restricting Non-Compete Agreements, Summit Law Group and New Tech Northwest, Seattle, WA, June 2019.
- What Every Lawyer Should Know About Immigration Law, Last-Chance Seminar, Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association, December 2013.
- Funding Your Startup, SURF Incubator Seminar, Seattle, WA, April 2018.
- Alabama Bar Association
- Washington Bar Association
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
- J.D., summa cum laude, 2007, Mercer University, Macon, GA
Georgia Intrastate Moot Court Competition, 2006
Editor, Mercer Law Review, 2005-2007
- B.A., magna cum laude, 2003, Agnes Scott College, Decatur, GA
Phi Beta Kappa
Delta Sigma Pi
Spanish Honor Society
- All Alabama State Courts
- All Washington State Courts
- Advancement chair and camp master, BSA Troop 714, Madison, AL.
- Volunteer worship leader for children’s ministry, Asbury United Methodist Church, Madison, AL.
- Inside counsel for large biotechnology company, 2017-2018.
- General counsel and human resources manager, large hotel chain, 2016-2017.