New laws affecting education passed by Alabama Legislature.
Passed during the 2012 legislative session, the following new laws affect schools and school boards in Alabama:
- School Board Governance Improvement Act of 2012, Act 2012-221.
- Act 2012-379 establishes a 45-day timeline to provide payment to contractors for public works contracts.
- Act 2012-433 clarifies the meaning of a minimum gift under the Ethics Act to mean a gift of no more than $25, with a total of $50 for the year.
- Act 2012-509 raises the income threshold for filing an economic-interest statement with the Alabama Ethics Commission from $50,000 to $75,000.
- Act 2012-557 governs participation of a school board in a nationwide cooperative purchasing program.