New charter school law signed by governor
The act creates the Alabama Public Chartar School Commission and specifies the membership, powers, duties, and liabilities of the new commission. The act also—
- Establishes the application process for creating a public charter school and conversion of charter schools.
- Provides for charter terms and charter contracts, including renewal, revocation, and nonrenewal of charters.
- Sets out the preopening requirements and conditions.
- Requires accountability of charter schools according to a performance framework, oversight, and corrective actions.
- Provides for the autonomous operation of public charter schools.
- Addresses funding and facilities for charter schools
Lanier Ford’s attorneys advise school boards and school superintendents about many aspects of school and education law.