Lauren Smith and Amanda Coolidge lead seminar on workplace injuries
On Thursday, June 15, 2017, Lauren Smith and Amanda Coolidge lead a free lunch-and-learn seminar about how to comply with the employment laws about workplace injuries.
The Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Act requires employers to provide a safe and healthy workplace. In addition, the act requires employers to report injuries and occupational diseases (unless the employer is exempt). This seminar is designed provide human resources personnel and small business owners with an overview of basics of workplace injuries and their responsibility to prevent and report those injuries. Key topics addressed include—
- Standards for a safe workplace.
- Basic reporting requirements.
- Risks and potential penalties for failure to follow the rules.
- Fundamentals of a good safety program.
- The trifecta of workplace injuries: Understanding the interaction of the OSH Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
The seminar also discussed some fundamentals of the Alabama Workers’ Compensation Act.