Alternative Dispute Resolution
Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Education & School Law
Local Governments & Municipalities
Mr. Sanderson's practice is primarily devoted to mediation and representation of school boards, municipalities, and utilities. He has extensive experience with alternative dispute resolution and issues affecting municipalities, school boards, and municipal utilities, including real estate, employment and environmental issues, tenure, tax, public financing, and contracts.
Mr. Sanderson also devotes a significant portion of his practice to municipal litigation and education law. He is listed on the roster of approved mediators maintained by the Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution and is a member of the Panel of Neutrals of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama.
Mr. Sanderson is a registered mediator with the Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution.
Honors and Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America since 2007. Listed in the areas of education law and water law.
- SuperLawyers.com named him an Alabama Super Lawyer for 2008, 2018, and 2019 in the areas of education law, utilities law, and civil litigation.
- Mr. Sanderson is rated by Martindale-Hubbell as AV Preeminent ®.
- Recipient, Distinguished Leadership Award, Leadership Huntsville-Madison Co., 2005.
Craft v. McCoy, No. 1180820, 2020 WL 3023111 (Ala. June 5, 2020).
Griffin v. Lee County Board of Education, No. 3:16-CV-27-SMD, 2019 WL 6359763 (M.D. Ala. Nov. 27, 2019).
In re Hubbard, 803 F.3d 1298 (11th Cir. 2015).
Crutcher v. Athens Police Department, No. 5:10-CV-01176-CLS (N.D. Ala. October 31, 2014).
Huntsville City Board of Education v. Frasier, 122 So. 3d 193 (Ala. Civ. App. 2013).
Nasseri v. City of Athens, No. 11-14863 (11th Cir. June 19, 2013).
Ex parte Boaz City Board of Education, 82 So. 3d 660 (Ala. 2011).
James v. City of Russellville, 57 So. 3d 111 (Ala. Civ. App. 2010).
Murphy v. Madison City Board of Education, 42 So. 3d 124 (Ala. Civ. App. 2010).
Crutcher v. Limestone County Sheriff’s Department, No. 5:10-CV-01175-CLS (N.D. Ala. December 30, 2010).
Dibiasi v. Joe Wheeler Electric Membership Corp., 988 So.2d 454 (Ala. Civ. App. 2008).
Chance v. Town of Skyline, No. 5:06-CV-01558-IPJ, 2007 WL 9697497 (N.D. Ala. June 5, 2007).
Water & Wastewater Board of City of Madison v. Anderson, 850 So. 2d 1230 (Ala. 2002).
City of Huntsville v. City of Madison, 24 F.3d 169 (11th Cir. 1994).
- “OSHA and the Private Litigant,” Alabama Law Review (1979).
- “Could Employee Overtime Cost You?,” Alabama School Boards (magazine), 2002.
- American Bar Association
- Alabama Bar Association
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
- Alabama Municipal Attorneys Association
- Alabama Council of School Board Attorneys
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Association for Conflict Resolution
- J.D., 1979, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL President, Bench and Bar Legal Honor Society
Most Outstanding Senior, 1979
Articles Editor, Alabama Law Review
Finalist, John A. Campbell Moot Court Competition
- M.P.A., 1979, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- B.A., cum laude, 1976, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts
Northern District of Alabama
Middle District of Alabama
- All Alabama state courts
- President, The Schools Foundation, 1999-2003
- Member, Board of Directors, Committee of 100
- Member, Board of Directors, Broadway Theater League
- Member, Committee of 100
- Graduate, Leadership Huntsville, 1991
- Graduate, Leadership Alabama, 2002
- Member, First United Methodist Church of Huntsville
Chair, Board of Trustees, 2015
- Member, Madison County Commission District (911 Board)
- Trustee, Fords Chapel Cemetery Association