Mr. Burgess’ practice is focused family law. He regularly advises clients about divorce, alimony, marital agreements, paternity, child custody, child support, parental rights, and visitation rights.
He frequently provides continuing legal education (CLE) to attorneys on domestic relations.
Honors and Awards
- Rated AV by the Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory. An AV rating indicates that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.
- Included in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers in America.
- Alabama Bar Association
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
Vice President 2000-2001
- Madison County Inns of Court
Executive Committee, 2005
- J.D., 1973, University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa, AL
- B.A.,1971, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Courts
Northern District of Alabama
Middle District of Alabama
- All Alabama Courts
- Member, Madison County Judicial Commission, 1998-2004
- People’s Law School on Domestic Relations in Alabama
Faculty, 2000-2004, 2008
- Special Assistant Attorney General, State of Alabama (1987-1991)
- Legal Services Corporation of North Central Alabama
Chairman, Board of Directors, 1985-2000