Lauren Smith conducts seminars about employment law
Recently, Lanier Ford attorney Lauren Smith conducted two lunch-and-learn events about employment law:
- Employee Handbooks 101 was held on October 11, 2016.
- Basics of Discipline and Discharge was held on November 1, 2016.
Employee Handbooks 101 addressed—
- Pros and cons of having an employee handbook.
- Policies that need to be included or avoided.
- Navigating potential pitfalls.
Basics of Discipline and Discharge addressed—
- When to discipline v. when to discharge.
- Documenting an employee's performance to minimize risks.
- Identifying problems in disciplining or discharging employees.
Ms. Smith represents municipalities, governmental officials, and private-sector businesses in tort litigation brought under Alabama and federal law, including claims brought under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Ms. Smith also regularly consults with clients on day-to-day employment matters involving employee policies and handbooks, discipline and termination, and exemption classifications.
Items on this web page are general in nature. They cannot—and should not—replace consultation with a competent legal professional. Nothing on this web page should be considered rendering legal advice.