Mr. Lewis trains, counsels, and represents school districts in matters involving special education and discrimination under the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other related laws. His represents school districts in state and federal courts, mediation sessions, and administrative due-process hearings.
Representative published opinions include—
Sparman v. Blount County Board of Education, U.S. District Court, Northern Districto of Alabama (decided September 19, 2016).
Laura A. v. Limestone County Board of Education, U.S. Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals (decided April 28, 2015).
N.B. v. Demopolis City Board of Education, 112 LRP 58398 (U.S. Dist. Court, S.D., Ala. 2012).
In re Cherokee County Board of Education, 111 LRP 5931 (2010).
C. C. v. Huntsville City Board of Education, 106 LRP 6294 (2006).
R.S. v. Madison City Board of Education, 106 LRP 12373 (2006).
W. M. v. Huntsville City Board of Education, 44 IDELR 77 (2005).
B. R. v. Florence City School System, 42 IDELR 129 (2004).
C. G. v. M.C.S.S., 47 IDELR 59 (2006).
D. K. v. Limestone County Board of Education, 41 IDELR 225 (2004).
K. B. v. M.C.S.S., 44 IDELR 174 (2005).
In re Disabled Student, 22 IDELR 931 (1995).
In re Limestone County Board of Ed., 31 IDELR 122 (1999).
- “Be Aware of the Obligations Imposed by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act,” Alabama School Boards (magazine), spring 2007.
- “New IDEA Should Boost Discipline and Curb Frivolous Lawsuits,” Alabama School Boards (magazine), January-February, 2005.
- Advanced Section 504 and ADA School Compliance Issues, July 21, 2015, Mega Conference sponsored by the Alabama Department of Education, Mobile, Alabama.
- Section 504 Legal Overview and Update, July 23, 2105, Mega Conference sponsored by the Alabama Department of Education, Mobile, Alabama.
- American Bar Association
- Alabama Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama Association of School Board Attorneys
- National Association of School Board Attorneys
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
- J.D., 1993, Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, AL
Managing Editor, American Journal of Trial Advocacy
Cordell Hull Legal Research and Writing Instructor
Member, Henry Upson Sims Moot Court Board
Phi Delta Phi
- B.A., with honors, 1990, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- All Alabama state courts